Monday 4 July 2016

Feeling reflective.

I am just over 2 weeks away from finishing my first year of teaching. I have successfully passed and am a fully qualified teacher. Ironically even though this year has been harder and busier than last year (my PGCE), I have somehow managed to find more time for my hobby. Go figure. I have played 6 wargames in the last few months. That is more than I have played in the entire time previous to that while blogging. I have always been leading up to playing a game...just need more scenery...just finish that tank... Maybe I needed to find a genre I love, or a rule set I love. Maybe I just needed more time?

As it happens the whole 6mm sci fi journey has been going on for nine months, and I have accomplished more with this than my WW2 wargaming (four games since Feb 2013) and my Song of Blades and Heroes gaming (zero games).

Last night I started reading through my copy of Clash on the Fringe and think I will try setting up a game or two of that over the summer.

In all, I think time pressure and focus has led me to make good progress with my hobby.

3 comments:

  1. Good luck! My wife is a secondary science teacher so I know how much of your time is taken up with work. But I believe that people actually need hobbies more when they have such stressful careers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I have achieved more, but that might be because it is a smaller scale and feels quicker?

      Watching TV and playing computer games do not have the same appeal to me anymore because I cannot talk to my wife while doing them. Painting allows me to relax and chat. I feel like I have created something, and it all serves a purpose, not just powering through a boxset or defeating Ghandi.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on the PGCE.

    I just asked a question on your terrain post from last month but, in case you don't see it, I'll repeat it here - what do you use for basing these terrain pieces? Is it plasticard? Regular cardboard?

    ReplyDelete