Wednesday 1 January 2014

2013 in Review

Happy new year, folks. It has been a wild one. I threw myself back into this incredible hobby, moved to the Czech Republic for four months, returned and got engaged.

Regarding this hobby, I had no set goals in place. I hoped to enjoy myself, get some gaming in, and let my creative flair flow. I wanted to build a German and Allied army to enable myself to host a game. I purchased a copy of Bolt Action, giving me something to base my armies on, while also following the Battlegroup rules. They look very interesting, but I am not confident enough about my armies to feel that I could put on a good game.

Thus far I have completed a serviceable German platoon. I have a pair of Panzerschreck teams, an MG42, a couple of mortars. I need to put together a few LMG teams in firing positions, and some more heavy weapons. This will happen as and when I can bring myself to paint Germans again...so, so painfully boring.

I also have my British platoon. I have enough support weapons, apart from on board heavy mortars. I am considering re-basing them though, as I discovered static grass far too late for these chaps.

I am on my way to having a Russian platoon, and also a US infantry platoon. The problem with the Americans is that they are Valiant infantry. They are very large. I love how they look. I love the poses I have come up with. But in reality, I think they will look silly when combined with other infantry. I dislike the pose of the 30 Cal. firer. I would like more prone infantry.

My armour collection has grown enough that I can easily support a game of Bolt Action.

The question now remains, what next?

My main goal is to get more games in. Having thought about it, there seem to be two obstacles in my way: I need to find people to play with, and I need more scenery in order to host a game with my own resources. Finding people to play with should be okay: the local wargame club puts on the occasional Bolt Action game in 28mm... I suppose I could try and put on some 20mm ones. I could try and get my father to play. My brother would be up for a game, but he lives in London. I could probably get enough games in. I actually put Bolt Action as a game on my Boardgame Geek 10 by 10 challenge, to encourage me to play it at least 10 times this year. 

The second issue, scenery, is one I will be also solving. My resources will probably move away from building up armies (apart from some German support weapons), and become more about creating scenery. This will involve painting up my Kickstartered Modular buildings, creating a French Village, and somehow creating a butt tonne of Bocage. The final one is the most problematic. I am still searching for the perfect method.

I will provide regular updates as I search.

I wish you all a successful new year.

1 comment:

  1. Have a good year James.

    I am enjoying your blog.

    All the best.

    ReplyDelete